Dangers are usually perceived as coming from the outside, something that is foreign to our normal lives. In the outside of our homes, there lurk the lawless elements like burglars, thieves and intruders. While this may be true, we should also be fully aware that not all dangers are limited to the outside world. Some of the most imminent dangers are inside our own homes. These are the ones that are least expected and extremely fatal, however these are also the kind of danger that we can easily protect ourselves from.
In order to protect ourselves, let us first get to know some of the serious and most common dangers inside our homes.
- Carbon monoxide is a silent yet fast killer. As long as we use fuel-burning appliances for heating and cooking, we are endangered of being exposed to and poisoned by CO. Misuse, Leakages and the absence of proper ventilation can lead to CO being released inside the house which can quickly rise to a deadly level. Because of CO’s odorless and colorless nature, its presence inside your home would not be easily detected until you begin suffering from symptoms of CO poisoning. It is thus important for every household to have a CO detecting device. This device continuously measures the level of CO inside your home and would sound off and alarm as soon as a dangerous level of CO is detected.
- Natural gas leakage is almost undetectable as Carbon Monoxide. It is highly flammable and can cause the explosion of your entire house. A good natural gas detector, which you should have in your house, would be able to detect other harmful gasses as well.
- Smoke and Heat usually alert us to a far more serious threat which is fire, although even without fire, smoke or heat alone can also be fatal. Thus, it is now almost natural for every house to have a Smoke and Heat Detection System. In some places, the installation of smoke and heat detectors is a requirement for every house or any kind of building. Without a smoke detection system or device, a fire can claim properties and lives, especially during the night when we are at our most susceptible state.
- A sudden and significant change in the temperature inside your home can also cause the destruction of your household appliances and can even lead to serious health problems. A temperature detector can alert you to these potentially dangerous changes in temperature just in time for you to take action to prevent any kind of damage to your household.
- For some areas, flooding is a serious threat. May it be caused by leaks or by a storm surge, a flood can cause damage to parts of your house and render your appliances useless. It can also cause problems with electricity and cause incidents of electrocution as electrical appliances might get grounded. If you live in an area which is prone to flooding, then it would just be wise to install a flood detector so you can give yourself enough time to either shut off the source of the water leakage or evacuate you house
What seem to be just everyday things can actually pose serious danger to you and your family. Home safety doesn’t only mean safeguarding your house from unwanted outsiders. The effort to make your home as safe as it should be should start inside your home. Make an effort to install detectors and alarms which can save your properties and your lives.